Prehistoric to Gothic Art
What You Need to Know
Understanding Your Assignment
Before you begin looking for information you should make sure you understand your assignment. Some good questions are:
- How many pages?
- How many sources?
- What kinds of sources?
- What format?
Your professor is your best resource to answer these questions.
ART 101 - Spring 2015 - Boutin-Vitela
In ART 101 you're asked to write a research paper about a topic in Prehistoric to Gothic art. This paper can analyze a work of art or discuss cultural issues related to the times and places you are studying.
- The Research Paper is an analysis (5-7 pages + bibliography and illustrations; approximately 2000 words) of artworks and cultural issues.
- This assignment will require reaseach beyond the assigned course readings.
- Sources must be cited with properly formatted footnotes, along with a complete bibliography. Information regarding footnote usage can be found in the Chicago Manual of Syle: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html.
Your professor asked me to put this research guide together for you so you would know what resources at the Cerritos College Library are best for your topics and so you could learn how to use those resources.
Please watch the video below for an introduction to this research guide and a quick tour of the Library's website. If you've done lots of research at our library before, you may want to begin by exploring the research guide. You'll find videos at the top of each page showing you how to use some of the resources described on that page.
Please make sure to contact the Cerritos College Library if you need additional help. The easiest way would be to click on the box on the right side of this page. That box will connect you with a librarian via chat.
Research Basics - Step by Step
Breaking Down The Research Process
The following outline gives a simple and effective strategy for finding information for a research paper and documenting the sources you find. Depending on your topic and your familiarity with the library, you may need to rearrange or recycle these steps. Adapt this outline to your needs. We are ready to help you at every step in your research.
- Choose a topic - or have one assigned
- Understand your topic
- Background reading
- Consider a main focus
- Refine your topic
- Make a list of your keywords and concepts
- Background reading
- Search Sources
- Find Books
- Find Articles
- Find Websites
- Write your paper - Informative, Analytical, Argumentative, Critical
- Cite your sources