Check Out and Renewal of Library Materials
What Do I Need to Check Out A Book?
You need your current Student Photo ID to check out materials. Then, visit the Circulation desk to check out your materials. The Circulation desk is located right next to the library entrance.
Other Important Information:
- If you do not have your Student ID, you must go to the Photo ID Center to obtain your ID and have your picture taken. Your Student Photo ID must be validated with the current semester sticker. If you lose your Student Photo ID and someone else uses it, you are responsible for the materials checked out using your ID. If you lose your Student Photo ID, report it to the library and Student Activities immediately.
- Remember that you are responsible for all the materials checked out with your ID, as well as for all outstanding fines. As the borrower, you are expected to protect the materials in your possession and to return them directly to the library by the date due. Please take care to return your materials on time and pay for all fines promptly. Loss of materials and failure to pay outstanding fines will result in your college records being placed on hold. Borrowing privileges may be withdrawn if there is evidence of abuse of the Library policies.
How Long Can I Keep A Book?
Books are checked out for 14 days (two weeks) and may be renewed twice. This does not apply to reserve material. Reference books and periodicals may not be checked out.
How Many Items Am I Allowed To Checkout?
You may check out up to twenty (20) books at one time, but no more than five(5) books per subject.
Will I Have Fines?
Books checked out from the circulating stacks area are fined $.15 per day to a cumulative maximum of $15.00 per book. One(1) and two(2) hour reserve materials are fined $.50 per hour. One(1), two(2) and eight(8) day reserve materials are fined $5.00 per day. Fines for reserve materials accrue even when the library is closed. If reserve materials are lost, the total cost of the materials plus a replacement fee will be charged.
What If I Lose A Book?
If you lose any library material, you are responsible for the replacement cost and a processing fee of $5.00. If a book that was thought to be lost is found within six (6) months, the replacement cost will be refunded.
Where Do I Return Items I Checked Out?
Books may be returned to the staff at the Circulation Desk, to the book return slot at the Circulation Desk, or to the outside book returns (one located outside the main entrance to the building and the other located outside the library proper). Please do not return pamphlets or reserve materials to the outside book returns. Reserve materials must be returned to the staff at the Circulation Desk. Do not leave materials unattended on the counter of the Circulation Desk.
How Can I Renew A Book?
You may bring materials back to the library or login to your My Account online to renew them. You may renew regularly circulating items twice. Materials may not be renewed by telephone. There is a one (1) hour waiting period to renew hourly reserve material and a 24 hour waiting period to renew reserve material that may be borrowed one day or more. Also see the Login Procedures.
To Renew, go to the Library Homepage
- Click on My Account in the upper right side of the Library Home Page.
- Your USER ID is your Cerritos College ID number. You must use a valid Cerritos College ID number to login. The PASSWORD is 'CHANGEME' for all first time users.
- Select the items you wish to renew.
Once you have logged in, you may change your password, place a hold on a book that's checked out, or renew your books.
To change your password, select Edit My Account.
If you don't know your Cerritos College ID number, or if you forget your password after you've changed it, ask at Circulation.
What If I Am Not Cerritos College Student?
If you live in the cities of Norwalk, Cerritos, Downey, Bellflower, Artesia, Lakewood, La Mirada or Hawaiian Gardens and is 18 years of age or older you may apply for a Community card. A $10.00 per year fee will be charged for the Community card. To obtain non-student borrowing privileges, you must show a valid driver’s license or a California ID and a current bill or financial statement that has been mailed to your residence within the last two months. For all non-student transactions, a valid driver’s license or a California ID is required and must be shown at the time of check out or renewal of library materials.
*Fifteen minutes prior to closing, there will be no book checkout.