Which One Do I Use?
When doing research, it is useful to know what these different publications are and what kind of information they contain.
• Journal articles are more scholarly or professional while magazine articles tend to be shorter and more general.
• Magazine articles appeal to the general reader and usually have relatively short articles are written in non-technical language are easy to understand
• Newspaper articles, while not usually scholarly or professional, can give you the most current news and some additional facts on your topic.
What is a Database?
A library database is both an electronic catalog and the access point to information from published works, such as magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, journals and other resources.
• Library databases provide access to authoritative information sources.
• Library databases provide access to resources across a wide spectrum of topic and subject areas.
• Library databases provide access to many years worth of published information at no cost to students.
• Library databases allow to to limit or expand your search results by using the Boolean operators AND, OR, NOT.
• Library databases give you citation information to help you locate and cite the articles.
• Library databases give you an abstract or summary to tell you what the article is about.
• Most Library databases provide articles in full-text or PDF format.
Need help searching?
See our Guide to Database Searching for helpful tips!
A special note: For historical research, the Library also has print indexes that must be used to find older articles, generally anything published before 1985.
Magazine, Journal and Newspaper Articles
Finding Articles on Your Topic
Research on a subject is seldom complete without periodical literature - magazines, journals, and newspapers.
A database is an electronic index used for locating articles. For your research try using one of the online databases listed below. Conduct your search in these databases by using subject headings and keywords similar to those you used to locate books.
To access the databases from off campus you will be prompted to enter your Cerritos College User ID and password. For more login information see the Database Login page.
See the Database Page for a complete description of the Cerritos College Library online resources.
National Newspaper Core: EX. Wall Street Journal
WALL STREET JOURNAL: Illustrated Newspaper Search.