What You Need to Know
Understanding Your Assignment
Before you begin looking for information you should make sure you understand your assignment. Some good questions are:
- How many pages?
- How many sources?
- What kinds of sources?
- What format?
Your professor is your best resource to answer these questions.
What is Problem-Solution Essay?
A problem-solution essay starts by identifying a problem (or problems) and then proposes one or more solutions.
The basic problem solution essay outline deals with the following:
- Problem - begin by describing the problem and the causes of the problem in the introduction
- Solution - propose a solution and offer steps for implementation
- Evaluation - evaluate the proposed solution by comparing it with other probable solutions
Research Basics - Step by Step
Breaking Down The Research Process
The following outline gives a simple and effective strategy for finding information for a research paper and documenting the sources you find. Depending on your topic and your familiarity with the library, you may need to rearrange or recycle these steps. Adapt this outline to your needs. We are ready to help you at every step in your research.
- Choose a topic - or have one assigned
- Understand your topic
- Refine your topic
- Consider a main focus
- Background reading
- Search Sources
- Write your paper – Informative, Analytical, Argumentative, Critical
- Cite Your Sources